I’m cac, the hip new Sec on the block, and it’s my pleasure to give you a rundown of all the events this week. There’s lots of stuff happening, so you have no excuse to be bored:
- Tech Talk on Production Engineering at Facebook: Wednesday 21/10/15 -14:00 - CG86
- PyCon: Saturday 24/10 and Sunday 25/10 - Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Dublin
UKIEPC: Saturday 24/10 - Sign-in at 9am - DCU School of Computing
- Date: 29/01/2016 - 31/01/2016
- Location: Brussels
- More info: https://fosdem.org/2016/
FOSDEM is the Free Open Source Developers European Meeting which will be held in Brussels.
It is a two day event which consists of talks and workshops each day.
The event itself will be free but the cost will be roughly 70 euro (subject to change).
We will be going over again this year but spaces will be limited to 30 people. spaces will be given on a first come first served basis. If you are interested in joining us email events at redbrick.dcu.ie.
The results of the EGM election on Wednesday are as follows:
- Noah Donnelly (cac) - Secretary
- Cliodhna Harrison (thegirl) - Events
- Cian Ruane (induxi0n) - PRO
- Liam Rooney (ginger) - First Year Rep.
The CPSSD takeover is well underway, you are all doomed.
- Date: Wednesday 21/10/15.
- Time: 2pm
- Location: CG86
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/529307537236583/
Facebook are coming in to DCU and will talk about what it’s like to work at Facebook, and about their Production Engineer Internship taking place next summer.
They will be focusing on Production Engineering at Facebook, and how they ensure that Facebook’s services run smoothly and have the capacity for growth at the growing European headquarters. If it sounds exciting, come along to CG86 in the Henry Grattan building at 2pm on Wednesday.
More info about their internship can be found here http://fb.me/PEDublinIntern.
- Date: Sat&Sun 24/10 - 25/10/2015.
- Location: Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Dublin
- Website: https://python.ie/pycon-2015/
- Tickets: 40 (preliminary)
PyCon is the largest annual gathering of the Irish Python community. The conference will bring together Irish talent and world class leaders in the Python community for a fun, informative and friendly event. Saturday and Sunday will consist of talks, tutorials, workshops, open-spaces and sprints.
For anyone going look for the guys in the Redbrick hoodies or get in touch with the committee if you’d like to meetup before or during the event.
- Date: Saturday 25/10/15.
- Location: Sign-in at School of Computing foyer
- Time: Sign-in at 9.00-9.45am, competition start at 10.00
If you’re not going to PyCon, and if you’re interested in some hardcore problem-solving, maybe I’ll see you at the UKIEPC hosted in DCU on Saturday. Competitive programming is a great way to up your skills, and looks great on the CV.
Google are sponsoring the DCU competition, and there will be goodies galore, including Chromecasts for the top 3 teams. Lunch will be provided. You can still register a team (2-3 people) until this Wednesday, the 21st.
See the above UKIEPC page for details.
Don’t forget to keep an eye on our social media pages and our GCalendar:
- Twitter: @RedbrickDCU
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dcuredbrick
- Snapchat: RedbrickDCU
- GCalendar: http://tinyurl.com/redbrickCalendar
All the best from myself & the Committee,
Noah Donnelly (cac) 1st Year Computational Problem Solving & Software Development (ie. “computers”) Redbrick Secretary 2015/16