Dear Redbrick Crew,
My name is Oskar and I'm your new bad-boy secretary. My first action as secretary is to inform you of all the events and goings on happening in Redbrick. Let’s hit it.
Redbrick held its EGM on Wednesday, electing a new committee and coming to the conclusion that pineapple on pizza is a-okay. The new additions to the committee are as follows:
- Admin - Cormac Smartt (pints)
- First year rep - George Burac (georgey)
- Helpdesk - Tom Doyle (greenday)
- Helpdesk - Dylan McDonald (grace)
- Public Relations Officer - Senan Kelly (sentriz)
- Secretary - Oskar McDermott (oskar)
- Webmaster - Cian Butler (butlerx)
- When: Actual event Saturday 29th October 11am – 4pm
- Registration: 26th October
- Where: Hosted in DCU School of Computing
- More information here: http://www.computing.dcu.ie/event/ukireland-intercollegiate-programming-competition-ukiepc
The UKIEPC is the UK & Ireland Intercollegiate Programming Competition run in the DCU School of Computing, sponsored by Arista, in which undergraduate students are given five hours to solve ten problems of varying difficulties. Prizes for top 3 Irish UKIEPC teams are:
- Trip to Bath to compete in the NWERC programming competition
- €300 Amazon voucher
- €150 Amazon voucher It’s free and apparently there’s t-shirts and pizzas (not sure about whether or not they’re with pineapple) given to the entrants so I would definitely recommend coming.
- When: Wednesday 19th, 3-4pm.
- Where: LG25
- More information here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1787222271546156/
Have you ever wondered how to install Linux but not lose your precious Windows or Mac OS?
Have you ever wanted something you were not afraid to break? Come to our new helpdesk team’s first ever workshop!
- When: Saturday 5th – Sunday 6th November.
- Where: Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Dublin
- More information here: http://python.ie/pycon-2016/
Python Ireland’s two day convention is back and this year features talks on Data Science Tools, Machine Learning, Data Visualisation and Cleaning Data on top of loads of python tutorials and workshops.
Finally, on Wednesday Startup Europe are hosting an event in DCU in their series of attending European universities to showcase the commitment universities have towards entrepreneurship and innovation. It’s taking place Wednesday 19th October in HG22 at 6:30pm. More information can be found here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/join-us-startup-europes-sec2u-event-dublin-city-university-
Also check out our social media pages to keep up to date with the day to day goings on of Redbrick. Twitter: @RedbrickDCU Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dcuredbrick Snapchat: RedbrickDCU Google Calendar: http://tinyurl.com/redbrickCalendar
That’s it from me this week. I’ll see you next week when I stuff another one of these newsletters down your chute. I hope you have a fantastic week.
Oskar McDermott (oskar) // Redbrick Secretary 2016/17