Well, as you know by now, Union Council meetings take place every second Tuesday. However, last Tuesday being what it was, we decided to have the meeting tonight instead.
The main items on the agenda were....
1) Student Survey, re: Course overall, and DCU environment & services.
A representative from the college will come into one of our classes at sometime in the near future, and ask us to fill out a survey. It's short enough, and the idea is that we fill it out there and then and hand it up. It's completely anonymous - you don't write your name or your student no. and the results are only released in aggregate. The questions are harmless enough just asking us if we're satisfied with the educational standards of our programme to date, and what we think of the facilities on campus. Obviously you don't have to fill it in if you do not want to. Two quick points: 1) I have a copy of it with me, so if anyone wants a look. 2) If you think that there's a question that DCU students should be asked on this survey, then could you please contact me ASAP, as I have the phone number of the lady organising it, and she's open to suggestions.
2) Car parking. As detailed in an earlier report, Union Council sent a formal complaint to the University powers that be, expressing our concern at the car parking situation. There was a meeting today, and they refuse to change their plans. Furthermore, they are perfectly willing to prosecute us if we attempt to block the entrances. Cars will be clamped etc. In light of this, and of the fact that we can't really do a press release on this issue, Union Council voted to drop the issue of trying to obtain a first come, first served parking system.
3) Election Results. President Dave Flynn Vice President Eugene Cunningham PRO/Secretary Enda Cahill. Rights Officer Ciara/n Mo/r macAnnrai. (sp) Clubs and Socs Eo/in O'Ceallacha/in
The last two were elected unopposed, and there wasn't anyone elected as Welfare officer, or Womens' Rights Officer - because no one stood. If you think the missing officers will be needed, then I'd encourage you to run for one of the positions at the by-elections, which will probably be held along with next year's class rep election. If you're interested then please let me know.
4) Welfare Loans. The welfare loan system was taken off-line a while back, because the debts were running out of control. Hugh, our _current_ Welfare Officer drew up a set of proposals, and after some debate, and much voting, these were accepted by Union Council. The details are a bit of a kludge to be mailing here, but if anyone wants a copy / wants to know more about the system, then just ask me.
5) USI Congress Motions. The Union of Students of Ireland annual Congress takes place next week. This is the forum where USI policy for the year is discussed, debated and decided upon. We get eight votes, but we usually send along two observers as well, so that the eight delegates don't have to go to every single debate. We're an observer short just at the minute, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. BTW, I mentioned this already, but Dermot Lohan, our current president, is running for the top job in USI this year. Just so you know.
6) St. Clare's All Weather Pitch. It's now open for business, and clubs can book the pitch, via the Sports Centre people. I'm told that it's a relatively easy procedure, so those of you involved in clubs might like to look into it. The pitch is fully floodlit and can be booked for daytime or evenings. At the moment individuals can't make bookings only the clubs but this is of course open to change in the future.
Then just a few final points to wrap it up... A) Candidates have been shortlisted and the Bar Management Committee will be interviewing for a new Bar Manager next week.
B) The negotiations for the new Student Centre are supposedly stalled, but Martin Conroy is just back from South Africa, so we'll see what happens. C) Election posters. Most of them have been taken down by now, but if you see ones that aren't then you're welcome to tell the candidates. BTW if you see any of Ciaran's posters you have his full consent to ripping them up and throwing them in the bin.
Well, that's all from me for now. The next meeting of Union Council will take place on Tuesday the 31st of March, at 6pm. All are welcome.
Your man at Council, Jonathan Walsh.
Go to Melmoth's SU Page , Go to Melmoth's Home Page